The LG-97 Thunderbolt is a Pilot anti-Titan energy projector that fires a large, slow-moving ball of electricity that causes damage to any unit within a wide radius around its flight path. Upon striking a target, it explodes in a spherical blast, which can hurt the pilot if accidentally fired point-blank. Targets affected by the Thunderbolt suffer a disruption to their sight similar to that caused by an Arc Grenade or a Monarch's Energy Siphon, though the effect is very short-lived.
The Thunderbolt is a very effective tool for rapidly gaining Titan meter, due to its constant, high AOE damage. When fired into clustered enemy Titans or Minions, it can provide as high as ten or twenty percent Titan meter. As such, it is very effective on clustered, confined maps such as Angel City, Relic or Drydock. However, while it can do good damage to Titans, the Thunderbolt is unable to kill Pilots or even Grunts if they have full health, not even on a direct hit(That said, it is not unheard of to accidentally steal the occasional kill should an injured enemy Pilot blunder into the Thunderbolt's path). This means the Thunderbolt should not be carried around carelessly: Pilots should stick to their main gun or pistol until they're ready to fire it.
- Because of the projectile's damage dealt to enemies nearby, the Thunderbolt can be very effectively used by firing near but not necessarily at enemies - a Thunderbolt projectile flying nearby past an enemy Titan will do much more damage and meter gain than a direct impact, and has the chance to go on to affect enemies further behind.
- The Thunderbolt suffers from long reload times between shots and the need to zoom into its sight before firing. To offset this, Speedloader and Gun Ready are recommended mods. Extra Ammo is also a good choice, as you can expect to burn through Thunderbolt ammunition very quickly.
- The Thunderbolt was initially intended as a Titan weapon, likely to replace the Arc Cannon.
- In The Beacon, a Thunderbolt can be found in a tower at the early stages of the route to the dish module.
- The Thunderbolt is equipped by the Arc Boomer in Titanfall: Assault.